- Carefully study the faculty members and their research areas. Click the button below to explore the different professors and their research interests. Their names and pictures link to their BYU profiles for more information!
- Choose a faculty member whose research is most appealing to you.
- Make sure you have completed the pre-requisites required to work with your chosen faculty member.
- Be proactive in investing time in studying the faculty’s research, journal articles, etc., and be prepared to ask questions and comment on his/her research.
- The best time to meet with a faculty member regarding mentored research is at the beginning of winter semester (Feb-Mar). By that time they should know when and if a position will be available for you.
- Schedule a time to meet them. If they don't respond to an email/phone call, drop by their office!
- Many times, you will begin as a volunteer until you have gained enough experience to merit credit/pay.
- You will need a permission-to-add code from the faculty member in order to register for their research section.
- Remember, for every 1 credit you wish to earn please plan on spending at least 3 hours per week in a semester or 6 hours per week in a term of work in the research lab. Have Fun!
Note: If you need research credit for your major and you want to do it with a professor from a different department, your department will let you know if they will substitute it for your required credits.
View Professors by Dept.