Life Sciences Advisement Programs Advisement Experiential Learning Campus Resources Scholarships Search

Adding a Minor


While a minor can enhance a student’s educational experience, it needs to be well-planned in order for the student to graduate in a timely manner.  Students who desire a minor should declare it prior to completing 90 BYU credits; otherwise, they will need to petition to add the minor. 

Some minors need to be pre-approved by other Advisement Centers before students may declare them (see list below).


Students will need to petition to add a minor if:

  1. They have over 90 BYU credits (not including language challenge exam credits) OR
  2. They have a double major OR
  3. They have already declared a minor.


How Do I Declare a Minor?

  1. Click the link below to fill out the form (see instructions below).
  2. Print the completed form and turn it into Life Sciences Advisement in 2060 LSB.
  3. You may also pick up a form at Life Sciences Advisement.


Filling out the Minor Request Form:

  1. If you do not need to petition and your desired minor is related (see related minors page) to your major, fill out just the first box.
  2. If you do not need to petition and your desired minor is unrelated to your major, fill out the entire form excluding the box entitled "Only Required for Petitions".
  3. If you are submitting a petition, complete the entire form.
  4. Feel free to call the Advisement Center with any questions.


Access the Minor Request Form

Explore Related Minors

To declare one of the minors listed below please visit the applicable College Advisement Center in addition to filling out the Life Sciences Minor Request Form.
  • Advertising Design

  • Art

  • Art Education

  • Ballroom Dance

  • Communications

  • Contemporary Dance

  • Design

  • Editing

  • French

  • International Cinema Studies


  • Italian

  • Media Arts Studies

  • Music

  • Spanish Teaching

  • Strategy

  • Theatre Arts Studies

  • World Dance

  • Writing and Rhetoric

*Only Education/Teaching majors may 

declare an education/teaching minor!